Register to Vote Information

City of Northville Residents

You can register to vote using one of these options until 15 days prior to Election Day: in person at City Hall, by mail, online, or in person at a Secretary of State Office  

During the 14 day period prior to Election Day and through 8pm Election Day, register in person at the Clerk's Office.  During this 14 day period you must also provide proof of residency (see below for more information). 

Proof of Residency if registering to vote at Clerk's office during the 14 day period before the election, and on Election day
You must show proof of where you live. Documents must have your name and current address. You can show a digital copy of documents. Acceptable documents include:

  • Michigan driver’s license or state ID
  • Current utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck or government check
  • Other government document
Qualifications and Photo ID Requirement

You are qualified to vote if:

  • You are a United States citizen
  • You are a resident of the State of Michigan and will be at least a 30-day resident of your city or township by election day
  • You will be at least 18 years of age by election day 
  • You authorize the cancellation of any previous registration

When registering to vote in person, you will need to present acceptable photo id or sign an affidavit if you are not in possession of photo id.

Registering to Vote by Mail - Special Requirements for First Time Voters

Are you registering to vote in Michigan for the first time?
If you have never voted in Michigan and choose to submit your voter registration form by mail, you must meet the federal identification requirement, as explained below. 

Federal ID requirement 
To comply with the identification requirement, you must:

  1. Accurately enter your state issued driver license number or personal ID card number where requested on the voter registration form, OR
  2. Send one of the following forms of identification when mailing this form to your county, city, or township clerk:  a COPY of a current and valid photo identification (such as a driver license or personal ID card) or a COPY of a paycheck stub, utility bill, bank statement, or a government document which lists your name and address.   Do not send original documents by mail.  

If you are subject to this requirement and do not provide the information identified above, an acceptable form of identification must be provided before you vote in the first election in which you wish to participate.  

The identification requirement does not apply if you:

  1. Personally hand deliver your voter registration form to your county, city or township clerk's office instead of mailing this form,
  2. Are disabled, or
  3. Are eligible to vote under the federal Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. 

Voter Registration Deadlines

15 or more days prior to Election Day
Last day to register in any manner other than in-person with the local City Clerk's Office for the November Election. Residency verification is not required.

14 days prior to and up to 8pm Election Day
A person may register to vote in-person at their local City Clerk’s Office with proof of residency. Those registering to vote during this time are eligible for an Absent Voter Ballot.  Consider registering to vote before Election Day to avoid delays on Election day.

Acceptable residency documents include:

  • Driver's license
  • State ID card
  • US Passport
  • Current utility bill
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck
  • Government check
  • Other government document

Documents must have name and current address.  Digital copies are acceptable. 


Verify Your Voter's Registration and Find Your Polling Location

Not sure if you are already registered to vote? Use the Michigan Voter Information Center to verify your voter registration and find your polling location.


Name Change on Your Voter Registration
ALL name changes must be completed at a Secretary of State branch office.  Click here for SOS branch office locations.
Notice Regarding Your Residence Address
Michigan law requires the same address be used for voter registration and driver license purposes.

If the residence address provided on the voter registration form is different from the address shown on your Michigan driver license or personal identification card, the Secretary of State will automatically change that address to match your voter registration residence address .

If an address change is made, the Secretary of State will mail an address update sticker for your driver license or personal identification card.